4 HOURS 20 MINS
- 50g hazelnuts, roasted and skinned
- 4 eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 100g flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 25g butter, melted
- 100g butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 1 x 850g can Black Doris plums, drained and halved
- 200ml custard
- 8 tbsp sweet sherry (or reserve some plum syrup)
- 1L Kāpiti Gingernut ice cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease a 30cm x 20cm Swiss roll tin and line the bottom with baking paper.
- Put the hazelnuts in a food processor and grind finely. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar and salt until thick and pale.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together over the mixture and gently fold in along with the ground hazelnuts. Fold in the butter.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 15 minutes.
- Rest in the tin for a few minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack.
- Cut the sponge into squares and place at the bottom of serving glasses.
- Douse each with a tablespoon of sherry (or the drained plum syrup).
- Place three halves of plum on top of the sponge and top with a little custard.
- At this point you can set these aside for a few hours in the fridge.
- Just before serving top each with a scoop of Kāpiti Gingernut Ice Cream.
- Garnish with freeze dried plum, crushed gingernuts or glace/crystallised ginger if desired.
You may also like
Affogato Ice Cream Sandwich
This crushed chocolate and coffee inspired sandwich is the sweetest idea for an after dinner treat.
Kāpiti Gingernut with Sriracha & Chilli
Spicy, sweet, creamy and crispy. An Asian-influenced dessert, with Kāpiti Gingernut Ice Cream, Sriracha chili & crispy noodles.
Palmiers with Vanilla Ice Cream & Port
A perfect after dinner treat for the grown ups.
Kāpiti Blood Orange & Cranberry Sorbet Cosmo
A Kāpiti inspired cosmo that would make Carrie proud.
We are passionate in our pursuit of taste. If you are too, sign up to our ‘Tasting Board’ for a taste of what we’re up to.