Palmiers with Vanilla Ice Cream & Port
Made with Kāpiti Vanilla Ice Cream
A perfect after dinner treat for the grown ups. Mature in taste and paired perfectly with rum, this recipe is anything but vanilla.
- 1L Kāpiti Vanilla Ice Cream
- Zest of 1 orange
- 70g pecans roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 400g fruit mince
- 500g sheet of frozen puff pastry
- 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 1 bottle quality port, to serve
- 1 Tbsp icing sugar to garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C.
- In a bowl, mix the orange zest, chopped pecans and ginger into the fruit mince, then add a splash of port.
- Place approximately half of the filling into a food processor and whiz until smooth.
- Mix together with the unprocessed filling and set aside.
- Lay the pastry on a clean work surface with a short edge facing you.
- Spread thinly and evenly with the fruit mince mixture, leaving a 2.5cm border of pastry along the short edge furthest away from you.
- Brush the pastry border with a little beaten egg, then, from the edge nearest to you, roll up the pastry tightly like a Swiss roll.
- Wrap in cling film and pop in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Unwrap the pastry and cut off and discard the ends to neaten.
- Slice into 24 rounds, then lightly flatten each one.
- Using a fish slice, transfer to two non-stick baking sheets, spaced apart.
- Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes until cooked through, puffed and golden brown.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
- When you’re ready to serve, spoon a generous dollop of Kāpiti Vanilla ice cream onto each palmier.
- Fill a tray with glasses of port and place a palmier on top of each glass.
- Sprinkle with a dusting of icing sugar
You may also like
Kāpiti Gingernut with Sriracha & Chilli
Spicy, sweet, creamy and crispy. An Asian-influenced dessert, with Kāpiti Gingernut Ice Cream, Sriracha chili & crispy noodles.
Black Doris Almond Croissant
Sweet Central Otago plums and the tartness of Crème Fraîche make this a delightful French twist on an ice cream sandwich.
Mini Gingernut & Plum Trifles
Our specially constructed Kāpiti version of a trifle. Far from traditional.
Affogato Ice Cream Sandwich
This crushed chocolate and coffee inspired sandwich is the sweetest idea for an after dinner treat.
We are passionate in our pursuit of taste. If you are too, sign up to our ‘Tasting Board’ for a taste of what we’re up to.