- 30g Mainland Unsalted Butter
- 25g plain flour
- 150ml Anchor Blue Top Milk
- 150g Kapiti Tuteremoana
- Cheddar (grated)
- 5ml Dijon mustard
- 30ml harissa paste.
- 75g dry macaroni cooked until al dente
- 80g pork crackling
- 50g one day old bread
- 2.5g cumin powder
- 2.5g turmeric powder
- 2.5g smoked paprika
- Bring the milk to a simmer and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan until bubbles, add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth and nutty and coming away from the pot.
- Slowly add the hot milk stirring with a whisk until smooth and silky.
- Stir in most of the cheese, keeping a little for sprinkling. Add mustard, Harissa paste and macaroni and season to taste, leave to one side.
- Toast the bread and spices together with a drizzle of olive oil in the oven until golden brown, add the pork scratchings and blitz together to form a chunky crumble, bake in the oven for 5 minutes until dry and slightly toasted.
- Pour the mac'n'cheese into a deep dish or shallow pan and cover with the rest of the cheese and place in the oven for 10 minutes until bubbling and lightly golden.
- Finish with a generous amount of dukkha and a drizzle of olive oil.
Throw in a handful of toasted macadamia nuts into your dukkha for something slightly fancier or double the cheesy hit by adding Mainland Special Reserve Shredded Parmesan and serve with crusty white bread to mop up the remains.
You may also like
Jerk Salmon Po-boy with Kowhai Gruyere
Textured and flavoursome, this is comfort food showing off the best of what our cheeses can do.
Aorangi and Prosciutto plate
A decadent assembly of prosciutto, pickled fruit and Aorangi.
Grilled Peach & Blue Cheese Salad
Decorated with Kapiti Kikorangi, this is an easy to assemble yet flavourful salad.
Kāpiti Gruyere Cheese in this baked pastitisio introduces an electrifying bite to a wholesome dish.