- 400g Kāpiti Kowhai Gruyere
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp wasabi
- 2 Tbsp japanese mayonnaise
- 6-12 prawn cutlets chicken thighs, skin and bone removed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 strips of streaky bacon
- 1/2 courgette
- 6 stems of broccoli
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 2 cups canola oil
- Place all ingredients (except the cheese) into a small saucepan over a medium heat, mix to combine well and bring to a slow simmer before adding Kāpiti Kowhai Gruyere cheese and leaving it to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer into a fondue pot over a medium to low heat to keep warm and melted.
- Place three small bowls on bench, one with flour, one with egg and the other with panko.
- Dust prawns and chicken in flour, drop into egg and finally roll in panko crumb.
- Dice the courgette into one inch cubes and wrap in streaky bacon.
- Dice the heads of broccoli into one inch cubes and dip into the tempura batter.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over a medium high heat, when very hot, reduce the temperature slightly and drop chicken in first – this will need to cook for several minutes – depending on size.
- When cooked, transfer onto a paper towel and pop onto a skewer for serving.
- Next fry the prawns until the Panko is crispy and golden, transfer onto a paper towel and pop onto a skewer.
- Finally, gently fry the courgettes and broccoli until golden, transfer to paper towel and pop onto a skewer for serving.
You may also like
Kikorangi Triple Cream Blue and Dark Chocolate Bark
Jerk Salmon Po-boy with Kowhai Gruyere
Textured and flavoursome, this is comfort food showing off the best of what our cheeses can do.
Kapiti Rarama & Chorizo Platter
Baked Kapiti Rarama Washed Rind, grilled chorizo with pickled shallots. Experience Spain in your own home.
Gruyere Fondue Chipotle & Bourbon
Mature Kāpiti Gruyere Cheese and bourbon make the perfect bed for this zesty, spice-filled fondue.
We are passionate in our pursuit of taste. If you are too, sign up to our ‘Tasting Board’ for a taste of what we’re up to.