2 HOURS 40 MINS
- 300g bacon bones, ideally a smoked piece with lots of meat
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 500g bottle of beer
- 1/2 cup jalapeños, finely chopped
- 1 can pinto beans or chickpeas
- Fresh coriander
- Grated Kāpiti Kowhai Gruyere cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- Juice half a lemon
- 3/4 cup fine polenta
- 1/2 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Generous pinch of sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Throw all ingredients, minus beans, into a large pot and bring to the boil for 10 minutes before reducing heat and simmering for two hours.
- Add water to top up as necessary throughout cooking.
- Remove bacon bone from the pot, chop off meat and add back to the pot.
- Add beans and heat through.
- Serve with fresh coriander, grated Kāpiti Kowhai Gruyere cheese and corn bread.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C
- Place a dash of olive oil in a loaf tin and grease all sides – place the tin into the oven while it is heating and you prepare the dough.
- In a small bowl add milk and lemon juice and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, place polenta, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl add the egg, oil and prepared milk/lemon mixture – whisk to combine. Add to the dry ingredients and gently mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the heated loaf tin, bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and rest for five minutes in the tin before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and serve – or grill with a little Kāpiti Kowhai Gruyere.
You may also like
Aorangi and Prosciutto plate
A decadent assembly of prosciutto, pickled fruit and Aorangi.
Creamy Mushroom Pappardelle
Rich and decadent, this creamy pasta dish delivers unexpected nuttiness and a hit of fragrant herbs.
Gruyere Fondue Yakitori
A Japanese take on a Swiss classic. Full of crunch and bite.
Grilled Peach & Blue Cheese Salad
Decorated with Kapiti Kikorangi, this is an easy to assemble yet flavourful salad.
We are passionate in our pursuit of taste. If you are too, sign up to our ‘Tasting Board’ for a taste of what we’re up to.