2 HOURS 40 MINS
- 300g bacon bones, ideally a smoked piece with lots of meat
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 500g bottle of beer
- 1/2 cup jalapeños, finely chopped
- 1 can pinto beans or chickpeas
- Fresh coriander
- Grated Kāpiti Kowhai Gruyere cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- Juice half a lemon
- 3/4 cup fine polenta
- 1/2 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Generous pinch of sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Throw all ingredients, minus beans, into a large pot and bring to the boil for 10 minutes before reducing heat and simmering for two hours.
- Add water to top up as necessary throughout cooking.
- Remove bacon bone from the pot, chop off meat and add back to the pot.
- Add beans and heat through.
- Serve with fresh coriander, grated Kāpiti Kowhai Gruyere cheese and corn bread.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C
- Place a dash of olive oil in a loaf tin and grease all sides – place the tin into the oven while it is heating and you prepare the dough.
- In a small bowl add milk and lemon juice and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, place polenta, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl add the egg, oil and prepared milk/lemon mixture – whisk to combine. Add to the dry ingredients and gently mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the heated loaf tin, bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and rest for five minutes in the tin before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and serve – or grill with a little Kāpiti Kowhai Gruyere.
You may also like
Gruyere Fondue Yakitori
A Japanese take on a Swiss classic. Full of crunch and bite.
Baked Rarama with Fig & Almond Chutney
Creamy baked Kāpiti Rarama Wased Rind cheese with an arrestingly sharp fig and almond chutney.
Grilled Peach & Blue Cheese Salad
Decorated with Kapiti Kikorangi, this is an easy to assemble yet flavourful salad.
Ultimate Spanish Eggs
Filled with smoky aromas, this skillet made dish provides a perfect bed to showcase our delicate Ramara.
We are passionate in our pursuit of taste. If you are too, sign up to our ‘Tasting Board’ for a taste of what we’re up to.