- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 large stalks celery, diced
- 1 bay-leaf
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 3 heaped Tbsp standard white flour
- 2 cups chicken stock, or vegetable
- 1 medium cauliflower, florets only,
- approx. 3 cups 250g bag seafood mix, mussels, prawns, squid etc.
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can corn kernels
- 150g grated Kāpiti Kowhai Gruyere cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 small bread rolls, top removed and insides hollowed out
- Extra 150g grated Kāpiti Kowhai Gruyere cheese
- Handful of flat leaf parsley
- Seasoning - sea salt and pepper
- To a large pot over a medium heat, add olive oil, onion, garlic, celery and the bay leaf.
- Sauté slowly for around 15 minutes, until softened.
- Pour in the wine and let it cook off for a minute or two before adding flour and stirring well to combine and coat all ingredients.
- Add stock and bring to the boil while stirring often.
- Add cauliflower, then cover pot and reduce heat, simmering until cauliflower is soft through. Transfer into a blender and blend all of the mixture on high until silky smooth.
- Return to the pot, add remaining ingredients (minus garnish) and simmer for a few minutes.
- While chowder is simmering, pre-heat oven to 200°C and place bread bowls in the oven to crisp, around 10 minutes.
- Divide chowder between prepared bread bowls, scatter with a generous amount of grated Kāpiti Kowhai Gruyere and return to the oven until golden brown!
- Serve with fresh chopped flat leaf parsley and seasoning.
You may also like
Kapiti Ramara & Chorizo Platter
Baked Kapiti Ramara, grilled chorizo with pickled shallots. Experience Spain in your own home.
Cheese & Chocolate Toastie with Kumara Crisps
Unconventional is what we do best, and what says it better than a chocolate twist on a cheese toastie.
Baked Ramara with Fig & Almond Chutney
Creamy baked Kāpiti Ramara cheese with an arrestingly sharp fig and almond chutney.
Kapiti Tuteremoana & Harissa
Adding an exquisite twist to a family classic, our Tuteremoana is the centrepiece of this creation.
We are passionate in our pursuit of taste. If you are too, sign up to our ‘Tasting Board’ for a taste of what we’re up to.