- 350g Kāpiti Kowhai Gruyere
- 500g Bucatini - cooked to packet instructions then tossed in 2 large eggs + 50g of grated Kāpiti Kowhai Gruyere
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 800g lamb mince
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 bay-leaf
- 1 cup chicken or beef stock
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cup milk
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Gently fry the onions and garlic in olive oil until tender and translucent.
- Add the mince and cook until brown.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, bay-leaf and chicken stock, simmering until most of the liquid has gone. Add whole peeled tomatoes, tomato paste and simmer for five minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a separate saucepan, add the flour and stir until smooth and gently heat until mixture turns a light, golden color, about six to seven minutes.
- Heat the milk in a separate pan until just about to boil.
- Slowly add the hot milk to the butter mixture, whisking continuously until very smooth.
- Season with mustard, and set aside until ready to use.
- In a large deep oven proof dish layer half of the prepared eggy bucatini, all of the meat, the remaining bucatini then finally béchamel and a generous layer of grated Kāpiti Kowhai Gruyere. Pop into a preheated 180°C oven and bake until heated through, bubbling and golden and crisp on top.
- Serve with a fresh green salad.
You may also like
Creamy Mushroom Pappardelle
Rich and decadent, this creamy pasta dish delivers unexpected nuttiness and a hit of fragrant herbs.
Grilled Peach & Blue Cheese Salad
Decorated with Kapiti Kikorangi, this is an easy to assemble yet flavourful salad.
Scallops on Cauliflower & Rarama Puree
Cauliflower cheese with Poseidon’s twist. A delectably edible collection of melt in the mouth goodies.
Kapiti Te Tihi & Harissa
Adding an exquisite twist to a family classic, our Te Tihi is the centrepiece of this creation.
We are passionate in our pursuit of taste. If you are too, sign up to our ‘Tasting Board’ for a taste of what we’re up to.